Sunday, January 4, 2009

Why Are You That Way?

I get asked this question all the time. Like veganism is a disease. I believe Alabaster Mom was once asked "Why are you like that?" to her being a vegetarian. Same thing really.

I have taken to answering like this. I wouldn't eat my dog, or your dog, or your cat. I wouldn't take their young, steal their milk, and leave them in concrete gestation crates. Therefore, I think it is pretty logical that I wouldn't treat any other animal that way.

And it does get old really. I was at a team dinner and the question came up a lot. I don't ask anyone why they choose to eat meat or cheese or any other item.* For the record, it's things like this that make vegans snap.

I know that dealing with new people will potentially cause this to arise any time I eat with them, and I think my answer above covers it.


*I know that I'm being asked this because it is different than the norm. I get it. It's still annoying.

1 comment:

Alabaster Mom said...

It's true, I was asked that by my boss at a company event. It was like he thought I was doing it (being vegetarian) just to irritate everyone and why don't I just knock it off already? This year I am celebrating 20 years of vegetarianism (since I was 19).

I'm sure it's harder being a vegan. If you're a vegetarian, you're just a little bit crazy. But if you're a vegan, you're perceived as being off-the-charts looney.