Musings...
On the eve of my 31st birthday, I decided to write out some thoughts I have about being in my thirties. I was going to wait until tomorrow, but I don't think I will be able to type.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Growing up, we are all lead to believe that we are individuals, this country was founded on individuality, and going along with the crowd is "bad". I mean I can't remember how many times I heard my mom say "If all your friends were jumping off a cliff, would you?" (And she might be reading this HI MOM!).
Why as we get older, are we suddenly supposed to go along with the crowd? It seems to me the older I get, the more this reverses. Every one eats meat, so I am supposed to. Every one has kids, so I should procreate. (FWIW - I think I should be congratulated for not contributing to the already over populated earth.)
Why are we just supposed to suddenly accept the status quo, even if we think it's wrong?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
When am I going to actually feel older? I don't mean physically, because I certainly don't look 17 any more. I mean mentally? DH and I go to shows and we are definitely the oldest people there, I mean aside from the parents who have brought their kids. Yet it doesn't feel odd, it feels normal. Is it because I don't have children (aside from my step-daughter)?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Why do I still think my birthday is a big deal? I think it's because I am a Leo. (Okay, I am a Leo/Virgo cusp, but I am definitely a Leo)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Am I more critical of the American government because I am old, vegan, or is Bush just that bad?




1 comment:
Imo you are probably NEVER going to feel older psychologically. Just from my own experience (pushing 40) and talking to older people. They almost ALWAYS say that they don't feel any different than they did when they were young(er). I don't mean physically, but emotionally. Their attitude towards life.
But then again I could be full of it. It's just my 2 cents. :)
Post a Comment