Monday, January 14, 2008

The Good Times

I know that when ever a loved one dies, everyone tells you to remember the good times. That's usually easier said than done. I am lucky, Spot was a funny dog and I have lots of great memories about him. Alabaster Mom blogged about Spot's "pre-bark" here. It was a funny little bark he did when he wanted attention, or food, or whenever he was bored. It was like he was revving up for the real thing.


Another time I will never forget happened at a local insurance company. They often hold fund raisers for GABR and allow us to bring dogs. Spot came as a representative for the rescue, as he was very laid back and loved people. Joining us that day was Gracie, a senior female also being fostered in Green Bay. She and Spot had eyes for each other. They were grooming each other all day, laid next to each other, you get the picture. All of a sudden, some of the other volunteers and I look over and witness Spot mounting and humping little Gracie. Spot was not normally a humper, but this was hysterical. And Gracie seemed no worse for wear.

At the first Boxer Bash Spot and I attended together, he became friends with a female named Sasha (or Pasta Batman). This was in Spot's younger days when he still enjoyed a good chase. Somehow the two of them got a hold of a cardboard tube (like the inside of a roll of paper towels or wrapping paper) and were playing with it. Sasha would run and Spot would chase her. She would always be looking behind to see if Spot was following, and if he wasn't, she flaunted the tube in his face. So cute.

My mom was staying with us once. She decided to sleep in the basement on a recliner. She was a little concerned about how Spot would be with her. Dave and I went out to see a band and when we came home at 2 am we went down to check on mom and Spot. He had jumped on the end of the recliner and laid down right in moms' lap.


As Spot aged, this Spot on the couch was his favorite. He would lay there and watch the world go by. I miss him so.

1 comment:

Mary said...

I enjoyed the Spot stories.;) I think you will find yourself smiling about so many things after time about so many things that come up that trigger your memory of your precious Spot. Believe me, I know, I wish that goodbye never had to happen but I do know Spot had a great life, you couldn't have loved him anymore. Hugs....