The Spot Chronicals
We had another episode with Spot a day or so before New Years Eve. All of a sudden he was very unstable, wobbly, and couldn't make it down the stairs. He peed right in front of me and hubby (I should make it clear that Spot has bladder issues, but he normally doesn't do this right in front of us) and he would become very confused when outside. He also wasn't eating. As I looked at him, he looked...droopy. I thought to myself "Maybe he had a stroke". But I know that dogs very infrequently have strokes. To confirm my self diagnosis, I got out my home veterinary manual. And it said strokes in dogs are uncommon.
He ate that night and the next morning but it was with assistance. I had to hold the bowl up and make sure the food didn't get to mushed in the corner.
I fully thought that I would be escorting Spot to the bridge on New Years Eve. DH and I went so far as to cancel our annual party.
I called the vet first thing and they were able to get me in at 10. Which ruled. I mentioned nothing of the stroke. It took me forever to get Spot into the exam room, but we finally did and I gave all the symptoms to the tech, and then mentioned the s-word. The vet came in, had him walk around, looked in his ears and eyes, etc. He confirmed my suspicions.
The stroke was mild. In fact, I couldn't even tell you when it happened. The vet gave him a shot of something (a steroid) and sent us home with some prednisone. I can say I was hopeful, but not optimistic. The vet estimated Spot's age as over 10 (which is over what we had thought) so I wasn't holding my breath.
All I can say is wow. We got home, I let him outside and then took him upstairs. Let the other two out and went outside for a smoke. I looked in the back door and Spot was standing there looking at me. This means he got down the steps with out issue. He is on his second day of prednisone and unless I told you what had happened, you would probably have no idea. But you do because I just told you.
I know my time with Sir Spotula is limited, but I am glad I didn't have to say good by just yet.
I must laugh. As I was closing this entry, he did pee on the floor. That's not all his fault. It's a side effect of the prednisone.




1 comment:
Your Spot man is a gorgeous hunk of a man, I do drool when I see the guy. I sure hope he has some more good time, sounds like he should. My Booker had several strokes, one in fact I saw myself. One left him with his head crooked as I put it but other than that he did very good. Till one day... he couldn't barely get up. =( You know the rest. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your Spot.
Post a Comment