Puppy Mills...again
Tonight our local news did another story on puppy mills. They investigated Puppy Haven in Manitowoc with hidden cameras and the whole shebang. It was sad and disgusting. I am appalled at the way the owner of the mill lied in the face of hard evidence. It saddened me to no end. It is hurtful to know that is the situation Cosmo (one of my pups) would have ended up in had his mother not come into rescue.
Here is the link: http://www.nbc26.com/news/local/7571552.html
There have been a number of different features on puppy mills in the state of WI. We have no laws regulating the breeding of animals. I am glad that people have latched onto this as a big issue and one of importance.
But (and there is always a but)
I don't get the schizophrenia (thanks Jenna and Bob Torres, and I believe Gary Francione for that term). How can one logically (LOGICALLY) look at dogs living in these conditions and say it is wrong, but don't see any problem with all the chickens, pigs, cows, and other "live stock" living in the same and sometimes worse conditions (holy run-on sentence)? I don't understand why the connection is so hard to make. In one of the stories a woman commented "They are treating these dogs like chickens, but expecting them to act like dogs". I screamed at the TV: "WHY IS OKAY FOR CHICKENS TO LIVE THAT WAY?"
The other thing that was entirely frustrating was talk of one of the laws that they wanted passed. "Similar to a lemon law on cars". Not fucking kidding. Comparing a quality animal to a quality car. I don't even know how this is possible. Fuck that.
I don't want to complain because progress is being made. I guess I don't understand why the progress has to be so fucking slow. Why can't every one see the world as I see it? Is that so hard? Animals don't deserve to be used for humans AT ALL. It doesn't matter if they are bred for pets, food, milk, eggs, or fur. Its wrong.
Work with me here people, work with me.




2 comments:
Okay, my freaky vegan friend, speaking as an omni, albeit an omni that rocks and one you love, but an omni nonetheless, I think what the difference is between chickens and dogs is lips. Chickens don't have lips. I'm serious. It just seems easier to justify eating something without lips, maybe cause it's less human-like, I don't know. I admit, I've never thought about any of this stuff before, really. But, you have gotten into my head. I actually took one bite of a ham sandwich the other day and got a little nauseated and threw the rest away. It may be partially cause I've watched Charlotte's Web 624 times in the last 2 weeks, but also cause the ham was pink and I started thinking that if you sliced up a human and put it on bread it would probably be pink, too. I know that's a selfish reason, but an honest one, at least. I thought a lot about your post where you spoke about other people saying they could do the vegan thing cause they like cheese (or whatever) too much. I admit that that was my very first thought. Then I realized that it has nothing to do with liking it or not, it has to do with your belief system. If you don't believe it's wrong, then giving it up is a sacrafice. If you do, it's not a sacrafice at all. Case in point: the second I found out I was pregnant I never took another drag of a cigarette, or one swallow of alcohol, I cut out herbal tea, MSG, and seriously cut my caffeine intake. None of that was hard. I just listed all of my favorite things and going without them for nine months (more than that cause of breastfeeding) was not hard at all. I believed using those things would harm my baby and that was all the motivation I needed. I never really craved drinking or smoking at all. It must be kind of like that to be a vegan. Anyways, come down here and visit me this summer!! I'll take you to Beans and Barley on the east side. In case you can't tell, it's your kind of place, and it even rocks! The food is sooo good, (even for me!). The best part is there's a big German Beer Garden next door. :) Love ya, JP
You rock JP....keep thinking, thats what I am here for.
PS Cows and Pigs have lips.;)
Post a Comment