Wednesday, June 6, 2007

"Eat Meat to Go Green'

Does this sound weird to you? It certainly does to me!

This is a news story that was run on June 4th. (http://video.msn.com/v/us/msnbc.htm?f=00&g=50e35cb1-1cdc-40d2-a7f8-1b337df84dc8&p=hotvideo_m_edpicks&t=c24&rf=http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18819436/&fg)

Apparently they are now making diesel fuel out of animal fat. Which in theory is great. But does any one think about the fact that it takes fossil fuels to farm? Fuel is needed to work the fields that are used to feed the cattle. Fuel is needed to transport the cattle from the farm to the slaughter. Fuel is then needed to transport the meat to the store. I guess I am missing a piece of the equation here. I don't understand how these two fuels (making it out of animal fat and using it to farm) are going to cancel each other out. It takes 260 gallons of fossil fuel to provide a family of four with beef for a year (Vegan Freak, pg 47). How does this add up?

Apparently they will also be using cow shit to fuel a new ethanol plant. Again great, but get this, one of the by-products of the plant is "a wet corn product, that cows love to eat". Are cows even supposed to eat corn? I believe cows are supposed to eat grass and other leafy vegetables (That's where milk originally got it's calcium. What? Did you think the female cow just had some left over?) Now cows are eating a combination "including chicken feathers, blood, pork,fish, and soybeans." (http://notmilk.com/forum/859.html) and are supplemented with calcium. I guess corn is better then that crap, but come on.

If you watch the video, it shows a Texas beef farm. The cows look like they are in the desert on a high way. There is no grass to be found.

Apparently they are doing the same thing with Turkey waste. It then showed a turkey broiler house. I am not sure how the average human (eating meat or not) can watch this and think it is normal for turkeys to be housed this way.

The whole thing is pretty fucked up if you ask me. Watch the video, let me know what you think.

5 comments:

KleoPatra said...

i'll just go by your post here, and skip the video. This stuff just pisses me the hell off, GBV. i'm ticked just reading what you think (i think along the very same lines)...

This world - i don't think i'll ever get it!

KleoPatra said...

Sadness.

Anonymous said...

It just goes to show that you have to know the whole story before getting on its banwagon.

But don't cows like corn? I wasn't too sure about the negative effects of them eating what the plants produce??

Turkeys look pittyful.

So when is your birthday? ;-)

Drasch23 said...

Nancy - birthday is 8/23.

I couldn't find anything on what cows are "supposed" to eat. I think more of what pissed me off was they way he said "and we are feeding them a mushy corn mixture they love" I really don't think the guy who said that spent a lot of time with the cows. ;)

Anonymous said...

Yeah, how does he know what a cow is thinking... gotcha! ;-)

You are just at the end of Leo almost Virgo...

I'm 7/27 ;-)