Saturday, May 31, 2008

The Boca Chick'n Pattie Incident

I almost lost my mind. It was crazy.

DH and I went grocery shopping together. This isn't usually a chore that we share, quite frankly because we both hate grocery shopping so much, it's best to separate us.

As I have stated in the past, GB doesn't have a lot of vegan friendly choices in restaurants and it is very hard to search the speciality stuff out in grocery stores. One of the stores here does have a "natural and organic" section which is where all the stuff like Sour Supreme, Veganaise, and the fake meats are located. I spend a lot of time in that section.

I went to the frozen area of this section to get my Boca Chick'n patties, they are my fave. They are easy to cook, make a good lunch, and are delish. I picked up a box and noticed that it didn't have the word VEGAN on the side of the box that it normally does. This was enough to force me to check the ingredient list. And read the whole thing. Thank God I looked because for some odd reason these had egg whites in them. AND it didn't include the eggs in the allergen information. (Look at the side of most foods by the ingredients and you will see the little disclaimer "Contains: WHEAT, SOY, AND DAIRY. Usually it says eggs here too. My favorite is that peanut butter says "Contains: PEANUTS. Thanks) I checked the nuggets, same thing.

Now, I am pissed. I hate it when stupid shit makes me become the angry vegan. But come on, why would they change something and put eggs in it? Wouldn't that make it more expensive? Puh-leeze. My husband looks at me and knows not to touch on it. So I go home angry and pattie-less.

The next day I decide to venture to a different store. They also have a nice natural foods section, and this store has the patties sans eggs. I bought like ten. And I wish I was kidding, but this was the dumbest shopping trip ever. I spent $60 on fake chick'n, nutritional yeast, Clif bars, and smut mags. (I had to know about Pete and Ashlee's wedding!)

Last night I decided to figure out what was going on. If they were adding eggs to all these products I needed to know now so I could buy all of them. Here's what it boils down to. The ones with eggs come in a tan box and are organic. Not Vegan. The ones in the red box are probably genetically engineered but don't have eggs. Vegan. This world is a messed up little place.


VEGAN
NOT VEGAN!
















3 comments:

Drasch23 said...

And if some one could help me figure out why my spacing sometimes goes wacky...that would be nice.

Dino said...

See? And they /wonder/ why I avoid omni subs so vehemently. Meanwhile, you /know/ they'll change the recipe on you for no reason, without saying anything. You can't trust these big companies to have your interest at heart.

Mindy said...

Yeah, I hate that with the natural patties.. why the fuck can't they take the eggs out of those ones now too?? I especially hate it because I can no longer find the normal ones anywhere around here, everyplace has the natural ones. Pisses me off. I miss a nice crunchy chikn patty.