A Few Words on Depression
So as my five readers know, I have been in a little bit of a funk lately. I have been dealing with depression for a while now and going through some changes (I got my period!!! lolz). That sounded funny. What I meant is we are adjusting meds and all kind of fun stuff. In light of this, there are a few things that I think people should know.
1. First off, it's more than being "down" or in a bad mood. It's not like being sad. In fact, unless you've been there it is almost impossible to explain.
2. When a person is diagnosed with depression, they can't just snap out of it. The last thing some one who is depressed wants to hear is why they shouldn't be depressed. I know I have a decent job, a decent husband (most of the time), dogs I love, a sport I love, and a cause I love. I know I shouldn't be depressed.
3. It's not fun to be depressed. We aren't doing it to get attention, to be emo, or because it's cool. No one wants to be depressed.
4. Some people talk very openly about their depression (sometimes me) and some people hide it. Don't push it.
5. It's hard to live with/be friends with/work with some on who is depressed. Here is a really great website with some information.
So...there you have it. Word to your moms.




2 comments:
Awww, cheer up! (Kidding, I'm kidding!) Looking forward to seeing you next weekend. I need dark-chocolate covered Oreos and I need 'em bad.
I bought some hummus and some Triscuits. I read the label on both and as far as I can tell, they are vegan. :-)
Hey Kid,
You've touched on so many things here, all so true. Some people just don't get it, you know? If I only knew what it was like to be so oblivious, but I've been like this so long I don't know what it would be like to be something else. Thankfully I've got a great support network (of trained professionals).
What's so weird is that I've been struggling a lot lately too. Like everything was going along fine and then it all got FUBAR. A bump in the road I guess.
We'll talk.
L
Post a Comment