Wednesday, March 14, 2007

3/13/2007 – Rant (BAW)


This spawned from the Vegan Freak Pod Cast #34 (http://veganfreakradio.com/ ). There was this absolutely disgusting “thing” that a recovering vegetarian put together. She wrote a love letter to ham. I almost vomited. She talks about how all veg*n’s secretly crave pork. (This is second time I have heard this). It was the most revolting thing I have ever heard. She talked about the ham like it was a man or something. Gross. NOT TRUE. I need to touch on a number of things here.

1. I did not crave/eat ham when I was an omni. In fact, this stems to all pork products. Bacon – Nope. Ham – nope. Pork Chops – slimy. So, knowing this, I think it is important to point out I do not crave pork now as a vegan. Nor did I crave it as a vegetarian. Fuck pork and ex-veg*ns that eat it. You all suck and make the rest of us look bad.

2. Speaking of cravings…I don’t crave anything. Did I in the beginning? Yes. Do I any more? No. I know that ethics and animal suffering are more important then my self-absorbed cravings. In fact, if you look at meat and dairy and eggs as merely a craving instead of a sustain-er, doesn’t it seem selfish to continue to eat them?

3. I can eat whatever I want. There is nothing I can’t eat. There are many things I choose not to eat. I choose not to eat flesh. I choose not to eat cheese and milk. I could eat them if I wanted, but I don’t. (If you work in a restaurant, please disregard the last statement. I can’t have meat, dairy, or eggs, or honey, and that includes cheese. I am deathly allergic. My tongue will swell up and I will need to be rushed to the hospital. You will be liable. That’s my story and I stand behind it.)

4. I HAVE A SENSE OF HUMOR. I did not lose it when I became vegan. Cartoons are not real and they don’t bother me. Especially when it is a “Farside” cartoon. I still think the South Park episode where Stan goes vegetarian and grows vagina’s all over his body is hilarious. I can poke fun at myself. Do I appreciate that it perpetuates a stereotype? No. But anyone takes South Park seriously, isn’t very bright. I don’t know if this makes me a “bad vegan”, but I don’t particularly care. I have always had a demented sense of humor, it isn’t going to disappear because I don’t eat animal products.

5. PLANTS DON’T HAVE A CENTRAL NERVOUS SYSTEM. I am a little embarrassed that I even have to rant about this but if one more person says this to me, I am going to jack them. The “plants rights” line is old, overused, nonsensical, and just plain dumb. (For long time vegans reading this, please forgive me. I know from the many blogs/posts I have read, that this comes up a lot, so I don’t know why I thought Green Bay would be any different. I should have expected it to be worse. So, for long time vegans, you can skip this part if you like). What I am surprised about is who this is coming from. I would expect this from rednecks I meet in the bar or at work, etc. I would not expect it from college educated co-workers. Quite frankly, if you use it, you can fuck off.

This might be an end-rant. I feel a little better now.

1 comment:

KleoPatra said...

i love No. 3. Actually, all of your points are fab and i agree 100%, but No. 3 hit home big time because of this:

"I can eat whatever I want. There is nothing I can’t eat. There are many things I choose not to eat."

Thank you and good night!