Easter.....
So, my in-laws tried to be nice this year and suggested that we go to a buffet for Easter dinner, so my hopes were high as we went to eat.
First, we walk in and the whole building smells of fried chicken (any one who knows anything about me at all knows that I can't stand fried chicken. I worked in a deli for a long time...). Gross. SD looked at me and says "I suppose you are enjoying the smell". Big thought for a thirteen year old.
We walk in, sit down and pray. Cool. I am going to go check out the salad bar. This is what it consisted of and I am not kidding.
- Iceberg lettuce mix
- Cherry tomatoes
- Cheese
- Mushrooms
- Bacon
- Ranch Dressing
- French Dressing
- Potato Salad
- Italian Pasta Salad
- Macaroni and Cheese Salad
And I am the only person who saw anything wrong with this. I didn't even try the French dressing, I am sure it probably had milk in it. So I made a salad with lettuce, mushrooms and tomatoes. I head over to the dessert table to get a plate of fruit because I love fruit (why the fuck was it on the dessert table?) It had all this disgusting juice on it, but I could make do.
So there I am with my salad with no dressing and fruit. BIL sits down and I will give you three guesses as to what he says. Come on... just guess. Yup - "Look at all these dead animals. They look delicious". To which I just didn't respond. He then started asking a whole bunch of questions as to why I don't eat animal products, because I don't think we should kill them? I said there were a number of reasons and left it at that. He let it go, thank God.
I often wonder what would happen if I asked some one why they ate animal flesh? What the fuck does it matter what I eat or what I don't eat. (I know this is old news for some long time vegans, but man it still gets on my nerves).
So the tomatoes were rotten and the fruit was so bad that even my nieces didn't eat it. So I went back got some broccoli, carrots, and cauliflower. I also made the mistake of walking by the hot buffet, just to see. Maybe they had warm veggies or something. NOPE. Chicken flesh, cow flesh, cow flesh, mashed potatoes (that you know have milk in them), and fish flesh. Jesus H. Christ. (Not something to say on Easter I know)
I sat down to eat the newly acquired veggies. That's when I realized the difference between fresh produce and that which comes from Sysco. Not good. It was vegan, but man it was gross. I tried my best not to look miserable as BIL consumed four different animals in about thirty seconds.
So I am going to go upstairs now and probably have a pb&j on whole wheat. Or something to tide me over.
As we were leaving, FIL asks if I found enough to eat. I lied and said yes. I am wondering now if it would have been better if I would have told the truth. I did feel awful that they spent $13 dollars for me to starve....
Fuck....




6 comments:
That sucks! What's so freaking hard about cooking veggies? Seriously, if I can do it, so can a bunch of morons who cook for a living.
Gah, I know how you feel, we went to a buffet type place for a birthday and the salad bar was stale bread (with the added flies) Premixed salad (so there was cheese in it, colesaw, potato salad, and then roast vegies, but they were roasted in butter (?!)
So overall nothing >_< Stupid buffets. Hope you have something yummier to eat afterwards.
Sorry came across your journal on veganfreaks
Hey. This is Milwaukee Jen (thus balancing the Vegan Jens between Milwaukee and Green Bay). We were glad this year to have a couple states between our families and us for Easter. I made a Moroccan stew for dinner and we were happy campers.
Anyway, I have a blog on livejournal that no one reads, (jrydin.livejournal.com) but I'll definitely stop by here and read yours.
Oh, by the way, that's me, UmbaPants, from VFF above there.
^^
I will post a link to your blog Jen as soon as Blogger stops acting shitty.
This is why i hate going out to eat at non-veg restaurants. It's always, always a lesson in frustration and negativity...
I'm sorry for what you had to deal with... the food and the peeps with who are not exactly compassionate...
Post a Comment