11 days and no one's dead yet.
At least not on account of me.
I haven't had a cigarette in 11 days. That's just crazy. My four readers know that I *always* had a cigarette in hand. Always. Now I don't. It's weird.
I talked to the doc and I can wean myself off the Chantix. Thank you jeebus. I am still only sleeping like three hours at a pop. It is fantastic when your night of sleep is actually a series of naps. Last night was really bad. I could almost take a nap right now.
My vegan friend Bri - ON was going to quit smoking after we got back from Chicago. I explained to him, that for me quitting smoking was very similar to going vegan. Not so much the reasons behind it. I mean there are tons of ethical reasons to quit smoking, but that wasn't my motivation.
Let me try and make sense of this. Before I went vegan, I ate A LOT of cheese. When I decided to go vegan, I didn't suddenly lose my taste for cheese. In other words, I didn't NOT want to eat cheese. I just didn't because for me it was the ethical thing to do. Same with smoking. I still WANT to smoke. More often than not, I want to smoke. But I know, even if I have one puff, I will be right back where I started. So I don't smoke.
Does that make any sense?
I do wish that I felt better. I am still hacking a lot and now my sinus are bad today. I have been slacking with the nettie pot, so I am going to have to be better at keeping that up. Sleep would help tremendously.
I have also had a bunch of kick ass people for support. Alabaster Mom, Mary, and Miss Leslie on line have been great. I have an awesome support system with my derby girls as well. You all rule. And my freaks. And I would like to thank the academy. Just kidding.




4 comments:
Yay for you, hussy! :-)
Congratulations!
My dad used Chantix and he's been smoke-free for 6 months now. This was after smoking A LOT ever since he was a teenager (he's 60 now).
I think it's great that you're blogging about it. I think that's what did it for my dad too. Well, he didn't blog, he doesn't have a blog ... but he told everyone he knows - friends, family, the guys at the bar uptown - that he was quitting. He's stubborn enough that I think the perception of being weak if he quits is enough to keep him smoke-free for the rest of his life. I hope.
I'm sure that smoking is also like eating cheese in the way that, after not doing either for a while, the thought of doing it will repulse you. When I first went vegan I would look at a cheese pizza or a cake I knew had egg in it and lust after it. But now, now that I know even more about what goes into those foods and what they do to my body ... well it grosses me out. Here's hoping the same thing happens to you with smoking.
Wow!! Having been there even though it was centuries ago I do remember quitting which is why I'm so glad to hear how GREAT you are doing!!! I hear ya about the nap thing.... I do that now but for different health reasons, sucks doens't it?!!? I do remember the couple times I took cortisone, couldn't sleep at all but once it was out of my system I was back to normal whatever that is.;) So I'm sure thinking it will be the same with the Chantix once it's out of your system and you can sleep like a log.... or a baby, whichever you prefer. Most of all I am just sooooooooooo darrrrnnnn happy for you because (as I repeat myself) I know the struggles of quitting!! And... I'm glad to hear no one's dead yet.;)
I am very proud of you - Alex and I did it, I know you can. Oh - and I think you will eventually dislike the smell. I went through the same thing, and I smoked for over 10 years.
Post a Comment