Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Comment

This is quite interesting to me. I have gotten two, well, irritated comments regarding my post about advertisements. One I addressed in the comments section itself. The other I want to talk about a little here.

This is what it said:

Anonymous said...
The ad is depicting women that society seems to think are beautiful. So what? If they're not your taste that's cool. But that doesn't make it "wrong" or "offensive."


This comment actually depresses me. That's right folks; depresses me.

The point of looking at these ads has nothing to do with taste. It has everything to do with why society thinks these women are beautiful. And why advertisements like this continue to promote sexism. I am not sure why Anonymous doesn't find sexism problematic (he's probably a guy), but as a feminist, I find it extremely problematic.

First off, there is the thin factor. Both models in the below post are very thin. Borderline disgusting if you ask me. And in all honesty, what woman wears clothes like that anywhere but the bedroom?

There are so many problems with the Skyy Vodka ad, I am not even sure where to begin. First, the man is fully clothed, in a suit no less, because he obviously has something to do (probably the woman on the raft). The woman couldn't possibly have anything important to do, look at how she's dressed. Also, could the phallic vodka bottle aim just a little more towards the woman's huge knockers? And why the fuck is she wearing heels in the pool? She is going to pop a hole in that raft.

Quite frankly, I don't even want to discuss the second ad because I am too pissed off at the first one. What I would really like readers to take away is this: If I had not put the Versace header above the photo could any one identify what this picture was advertising?

2 comments:

Dave Fink said...

I agree. Both ads suck. I think that a good as should express something unique about that product. You made a good point about the Versace ad. If you were to put a bottle of Bud in place of the Skyy bottle, would it look so out of place? In my opinion, no. It's an easy way out when you have nothing to interesting to say about your product. Beyond that, I think when advertisers use rail-thin models, they do so irresponsibly because it reinforces unattainable body image goals. I am all for seeing ads with attractive models ( I'm a guy. Sue me), but seeing fragile and UNHEALTHY ones is very off-putting. Just my $.02 centavos

ps. They probably all smoke too. ;)

the Reverend I.P. Freely said...

I think that without the versace banner they would just be advertisements for people who should be put to sleep.

all kidding aside I think its disgusting how television and print media work overtime to convince women that their only real value is how they are seen by men. And no one ever stops to question this, maybe it just moves too much product. All the more reason to smash your television and re-learn to love yourself.