Contact Sports/Sports in General
Oddly enough, my own body image has improved since starting roller derby. Or maybe it's not that odd.
I was trying to explain this the other night to a very good friend, but I don't think that I was getting my point across. One of the main reasons that I believe roller derby has helped with my self image is because I am now using my body to do something. So often girls concentrate on how their bodies look. This website http://www.about-face.org/ really takes a look at how the media portrays women and girls. It's very informative, so check it out.
Returning to sports and body image. Because of what woman of all ages are bombarded wtih, media wise, often diet and exercise are seen as a means to an end. I really do believe that if a girl is involved in sports, diet and exercise become that end.
As far as my body doing something, it's been huge for me. It doesn't have as much to do with patriarchy (although that is where it begins) or conforming to what men consider typically beautiful. It has to do with tasks that my body can accomplish now. Like running a mile in under ten minutes. Like hitting a girl with the right timing and force to get my jammer through. Like being able to keep up with all the girls on the track.
Exercise for me now has nothing to do with getting skinnier, flattening my tummy, removing the jiggle from my arms, or any of that. It has to do with improving my skill at a sport I have come to love. The other stuff is nice, but it's secondary. Trust me, I am much more proud of my new found skating endurance than I am of any weight that I have lost because of derby.
I do believe that if girls were encouraged to participate in sports (even more than they are) and especially sports that are not considered typically feminine, self image would automatically improve.
Later on I will talk about why some sports are better for body image that others.




1 comment:
Hi, Came across your blog thanks to my google alerts! I was really interested by your point about sport/exercise being a means to an end for many women - I hadn't thought about it before! Perhaps that's why I've never stuck at anything else, and derby is the only thing I've found I stick with - I'm not doing it for any other reason than for itself.
I've totally become more body confident since playing too - when I started there was NO WAY IN HELL you'd have got me wearing shorts, let alone hot pants.
Hurrah for Roller Derby!
May BeTwisted
London Roller Girls
Post a Comment