Sexism. It's as Natural as Breathing!
I guess this is what I was trying to say in my last entry. That the way the media is set up, the way the patriarchy is set up, sexism is so natural that we don't even think about it. Just like breathing. You don't remember learning how to breath, and you probably don't remember learning about which things were masculine or feminine either.
I am not sure where this thought is going to take me. I just know that our over-emphasis on gender starts very early. A lot of times now before the kid even pops out. This way, by the time we have out baby shower, we can buy the appropriate colors, toys, etc for that little boy or girl. I think a lot of this will effect the way that kids see themselves. Learning how to play and what games are appropriate for boys or girls has a profound effect on self-image.
I'll explore this more later. I gotta shower.




No comments:
Post a Comment