Another Questionable Commercial
I have been off work the past couple of days. This means that I have been watching entirely too much tv. Which means that I am seeing a lot of commercials.
The one that is currently driving me insane is for a product called FurReal Friends. I must warn you when you access this, it's scary. I wasn't aware that this product line had so many different options. I understand the theory behind these toys. In fact, I am pretty sure that if you consider one of these for your children, you should never have a live companion animal.
Here's what disturbs me. Hasbro has the Farm Animal Line. I do have to say that I am thrilled that there isn't a cow or a chicken, but a pig? Come on. What do you say to your children. Okay, you can name this piggy Babe, but in about a year we'll have him for Giftmas dinner? I really struggle with the logic behind this. And what's with the fucking parrots? I have never seen those in a barn. Maybe it's a tropical farm?
Lastly, this country already has a very disposable mentality when it comes to companion animals. I have actually heard people say "Oh, my dog was a purebred so when it ran away, we weren't too worried". I have heard this more than once. I also love "The dog kept running off, so we decided not to go looking". Leash any one? I was making a point. Oh yeah, I hope that toys like this don't increase this countries apathy towards companion animals (well, animals in general). I would love to see toys that encouraged children to take responsibility for the companion animals in their life.




No comments:
Post a Comment