Some Advertisements to Think About
Just going to display some ad's here. Let me know what you think and if you are offended or not.
Skyy Vodka Ad

Versace Ad
Just going to display some ad's here. Let me know what you think and if you are offended or not.
Skyy Vodka Ad

Versace Ad
Posted by
Drasch23
at
2:07 PM
Labels: advertisements, body image
9 comments:
What I think is so sad is how people look at people and judge them by their looks more than anything, Instant judgement sucks and reigns big time in this world. I won't say I never have done it but I sure have learned not to. I think I have learned that more from my kids than anything. You don't have to be the best dressed, up to date person to be a wonderful person. My son has hair down his back and I know just from that he is judged. Yet I know what a wonderful caring person he is. I don't know if this has anything to do with anything but that's what those pics made me think of, it's not about how beautiful or perfect you look on the outside.....
The ads are horrible, but if you don't remove the apostrophe from ads, I will report you to the Apostrophe Abuse site: http://www.apostropheabuse.com/
So I tried to remove the apostrophe, but blogger won't let me edit. Please, please, do not report me. ;)
As liberal and equal minded as most claim to be, judging by appearance is in all of us. To say you don't do it is a lie. The true battle is work around it, and to not perpetuate the cycle. Do you judge someone by the way they dress, the car they drive? I'll bet if you don't now you will again. Unfortunately it won't go away. Why do women wear make up? To make their appearance better. Some might say it's so they'll feel better about themselves, not for anyone else. Ok, I'll buy that...but what makes you think you look better with it than without it? Aren't you just conforming to all of those beliefs put forth by the things you're against?
Ads like this always make me want to puke. It's just so bloody sad how pervasive advertising like this is. I can't imagine how it must affect girls, I don't even want to think about it. What gets me, too, is that I'm not sure how to change it.
Dear anonymous,
I don't believe that I ever said that I don't judge people by what they look like. That's not what this series of posts is about, it's about body image, which is quite different.
The ad is depicting women that society seems to think are beautiful. So what? If they're not your taste that's cool. But that doesn't make it "wrong" or "offensive."
Well the first ad for me is symbolizing that this vodka will put you in the same class as the big cat business guys and give you an opportunity to get drunk and fuck skinny ass bimbos. The second one is pretty much saying that wearing this brand of clothing will make you feel like a chic thin sexy woman. When it comes down to it though, pretty much all ads these days use sex and underweight girls to sell things. It's pityful and very triggering for people with EDs. But what can we do?
Hmmmmm. Where to begin. I feel like I could go on and on but I won't because I agree with you on this. Playing devil's advocate though... The model in the clothing ad is scary skinny to be sure. However, think about another purpose for using her - to showcase the clothing. Society is misguided in its perceptions of beauty, I agree. Think about this though. Put a healthy, curvy, fabulous woman in the same ad and what do you look at more? The woman. This model is striking in a typical, couture way, but she serves a more important purpose: a clothes hanger.
As far as the first ad goes, oy. I don't think I can play devil's advocate on that one.
Post a Comment